Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Requiem for O'Malley

Former Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley has dropped his campaign to become the Democratic presidential nominee.

I am the living embodiment of O'Malley's problem: I am a native Marylander, who thought he was a good Governor and before that a good mayor of Baltimore, and never once seriously considered voting for him. Nothing about my opinion has changed; his presidential campaign never grabbed me is all.

That being said, I don't think anybody in the Democratic electorate has come to harbor any bad feelings towards O'Malley. A lot might have thought "what's the point of O'Malley?", but no ill will. And so if he uses this campaign to become a higher-profile figure in Democratic politics -- maybe a cabinet position (he says he's not interested, but, well, they always say that) -- good for him. He's young. He's got time.

No comments: